Catoosa County Courthouse
Catoosa County's courthouse was built in 1939, the same year as its counterpart in Troup County; however,
the two buildings are quite different. While the Stripped Classical style of Troup County was favored
among New Deal courthouse architects, many also approved of Colonial-era designs. Catoosa was one of
several Georgia counties to build a Colonial Revival courthouse in the 1930s.
The style was inspired, of course, by the Georgian architecture of early America. Almost always built of
red brick, these courthouses are frequently accented by corner quoins and fanlighted doorways or windows.
Entrances are emphasized with elaborate pediments and well-ornamented door frames. Catoosa's courthouse,
designed by architects Crutchfield and Law, is a fine example.
The county's first courthouse, a three-story brick building erected
on this site in 1856, may have survived the Civil War because the top
floor housed a Masonic hall. According to local accounts, some of the
invading Federal troops were Masons who declined to burn the meeting
hall of their fellows. The old courthouse stood until the present structure
Catoosa County Area
Chamber of Commerce
854 Old Mill Road
From US 27 in Fort Oglethorpe, go 9 miles east on Ga. 2 to Hwy 41,
turn right to downtown Ringgold.
The courthouse is on the right.