Chattooga County Courthouse
In 1908, after some prodding by the local newspaper, the Chattooga
County Board of Roads and Revenue agreed that their old brick courthouse
should be replaced with a larger and more up-to-date building. After
hearing about a splendid new courthouse being built in Baxley, a town
of similar size in southeastern Georgia, the board members decided to
travel there and see it for themselves. They must have been thoroughly
impressed because the Chattooga courthouse is nearly identical to the
Designed by the Bryan Architectural Firm of St. Louis, Missouri, the Neoclassical
Revival building features pedimented porticoes with two-story Corinthian
columns on the north, east, and west sides. On the south side, facing
a narrow street, is a simpler entrance flanked by four Corinthian pilasters.
A domed clock tower rises above the hipped roof of the building's core.
On the second floor, directly beneath the tower, is the courtroom which
is distinguished by a large arched stained glass window behind the judge's
bench. This window depicts the Georgia state seal, a three-columned
arch guarded by a soldier, with the motto " Wisdom, Justice and Moderation."
Chattooga County Chamber of Commerce
Summerville, Georgia 30747
On Hwy 27, downtown Summerville, on the right if southbound.