Coweta County Courthouse
If public opinion had prevailed in 1903, Coweta might have a quite
different building standing here. When the county's commissioners decided
in that year to replace their 1828 courthouse with a new structure,
citizens refused to approve the bond issue, preferring to keep the old
temple-like edifice that once had served as a Civil War hospital. By
imposing a direct tax and starting demolition in the early morning hours
before any court could stop them, the commissioners got their new courthouse.
The towering structure, over 100 feet high, has served its purpose for nearly a century. In recent years
it has also gained a new role as a location for movie-making, thanks to its well-preserved architectural
details and absence of discordant remodelings.
Architect J.W. Golucke. who designed at least 20 Georgia courthouses,
used copper liberally on the upper portions of the building, covering
every cornice as well as the dome of the clock tower with the metal.
Having weathered to a dark patina, it now contrasts strongly with the
red brick walls and light gray columns, creating a distinctive look
not seen anywhere else in Georgia.
Another notable feature is the state seal set within the pediments, a reminder that the countys are
creations of the state.
Coweta County Convention & Visitors Bureau
100 Walt Sanders Memorial Drive
Newnan, Georgia 30265
From U.S. 27 Alternate southbound in Newnan,
turn right on Jackson Street, go past two traffic lights,
the courthouse will be on the left.