Floyd County Courthouse
One of the most popular styles for Georgia courthouses was the Romanesque Revival. Recognizable by their round arches grouped in two or threes, and usually featuring a tall pyramid-roofed clock
tower, these courthouses still watch over many a town across the state. Rome's example, designed by Alexander C. Bruce and
Thomas Henry Morgan and completed in 1892, is especially noteworthy with its heavy round arches, its semicircular projecting side bays, and its lofty open belfry. An unusual feature is the inclusion of gargoyles in the ornamentation. Molded in terra cotta,
they can be seen among the foliate designs on the first floor stringcourse.
In the 1970s the county acquired the Old Post Office on East First Street, moved
the courts there, and adapted this building for various county offices.
Since then, it has been rehabilitated to preserve much of its original
character. Behind it is the newest home of the courts, a Postmodern red
brick structure overlooking the river. Just beyond that is Rome's convention
center, appropriately named The Forum.
Greater Rome Convention & Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 5823
Rome, Georgia 30162-582
Visit our Site
From Hwy 27 and Ga 20, (Turner McCall Blvd.), traveling north and west,
turn left on Broad St. Turn right onto Fifth Ave.
Turn left at second light into parking lot.