Miller County Courthouse
The modern courthouse you see in Colquitt today is the county's fourth,
the first three having been destroyed by fires in 1873, 1904, and 1974.
Designed by Tomlin Associates of Atlanta using traditional design elements
in a contemporary way, it stands among venerable shade trees in the
center of the town square.
It's predecessor, a two-story, yellow brick Neoclassical building designed by
Alexander Blair, was a much-loved old structure that towered above the
businesses around it. In her History of Miller County
, Nellie Cook
Davis remembers its courtroom:
"Though the courthouse itself was an office building for county
officials and a place for holding court, the upstairs assembly room
was often used for many things besides trials - a sort of community
hall. There was, for instance, one of the last Old Soldiers' Reunions
ever held in South Georgia. There were county-wide school competition
meets. Children...congregating on the square and marching up to the
courtroom for contests in spelling, recitations, and singing. There
were Chatauquas, Fourth of July celebrations...and at least one attempt...
to organize Community Singing on Sunday afternoons."
The building burned in 1974, possibly as a result of faulty wiring.
Colquitt-Miller County Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 248
Colquitt, Georgia 31737
From U.S. 27 southbound in Colquitt, turn left onto College Street
and go one block to the town square.