Stewart County Courthouse
Although the walls of Stewart Country's Neoclassical Revival courthouse date back to 1896, the building we
see today is a 1923 reconstruction. The earlier courthouse, designed by A.J. Bryan, burned in 1922,
leaving little more than the walls standing.( It was was one of over 90 Georgia courthouses to be
destroyed or severely damaged by fire.)
The county decided to rebuild the structure and hired architect T.F. Lockwood,
Jr. of Columbus for that purpose. Lockwood generally followed Bryan's
design, but he made an exception for the clock tower. Originally the tower,
a three-tiered structure with Palladian windows, four clock faces, corner
urn finials, and a small dome, stood above the center of the building.
Lockwood relocated it to rise directly above the north/south entrance.
He also used a much simpler design, avoiding the costly ornament of the
On the broad courthouse lawn is one of Georgia's most unusual Confederate monuments, unveiled in 1908. The
marble soldier atop the shaft does not hold his rifle in hand as do his counterparts around the state,
but instead is filling his pipe.
Stewart County Commissioners
P.O. Box 157
Lumpkin, Georgia 31815
From U.S. 27 southbound in Lumpkin, turn left (east) at Ga. 27
and go three blocks to the town square.