Walker County Courthouse
The first courthouse in Walker County was a "double-log house" at Crawfish
Springs (now Chickamauga) that had been used by the Cherokees as a council
house. In 1835, the county seat was moved to LaFayette and a second
courthouse was completed three years later on the town square. This
two-story stuccoed brick structure survived a bloody Civil War battle
only to be lost to fire in 1883, taking with it 50 years of county records.
A third courthouse was built the same year. Like its predecessor, it was a two-story brick structure in the centerof the square. Unlike the earier building, it had iron vaults to fireproof the records.
The fourth and present courthouse, dedicated in 1918, was considered at the time to be the finest in Georgia. Designed by Chattanooga architect Charles E. Bearden in the Renaissance Revival style, it was built at a cost of $80,000.
The third court house fell into disrepair and was ultimately removed. The site
was converted to a public park with a Confederate monument as a centerpiece.
Today the area provides downtown parking while the Confederate monument
stands a short distance north.
Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 430
Rock Spring, Georgia 30739
From Hwy 27 southbound, continue straight on Business 27 two miles
to the town square in LaFayette. The courthouse is 1 block east.